By my good friend, Amanda Barnes…
Today, as I ponder the NEW year and all of its possibilities – I am battling with some OLD lies.
Ones based in fear, rejection, doubt, and control. They’re struggling to maintain strength and are causing irritation, going against the NEW in me.
There is an age-old battle within me, my relationships, and my home….
A battle between GOOD and evil,
LIGHT and dark,
WHOLENESS and sickness,
PEACE and argument,
CHOSEN and victim,
TRUTH and lies…
Frankly – I am being forced to make a choice.
- Will I live from my testimony?
- Which side of the cross will I stand on?
- Where will I land today?
For the moment, I am standing (however unstable) on my NEW foundation in Christ. In a place where Truth reigns and rejects the Lie… where fear is trying to gain ground but Trust is holding.
But it is so easy to behave the ‘old way’ because the old way can ‘feel’ more real than the Truth… because the ‘old way’ goes long and deep… and old-habits die-hard!
However, GOD has been planting HIS WORD in my heart – He’s already spoken many Truths to me. He’s spoken them to you, too.
We are CHOSEN and WANTED and DELIVERED.
We BELONG and are WORTHY of living LOVED.
And anything GOOD in us starts with HIM.
Do you believe those Truths? To be honest, it’s a choice… and a very unnatural one at that. Choosing God’s WAY goes against our flesh, but presents us with the opportunity for a NEW way of living.
A NEW hope.
So here I sit – with a NEW task in front of me…
Starting a new venture with my beloved friend. Co-Laboring with Christ and Carey to create a space and a place for encouragement… Agreeing to write a monthly blog called:
“The Matthew 5:16 Project”
It’s a challenge to live intentionally and in such a way that others see the LIGHT in us reflecting our good deeds… resulting in PRAISE to our HEAVENLY FATHER.
But – today I am struggling.
I’m distracted by:
- a cranky strong-willed child,
- another child with walking pneumonia,
- an unusually irritated spouse,
- a ridiculously messy house,
- a heavy (all too familiar) dark cloud of oppression resulting in foul mood and cluttered thinking,
- and in the midst of trying to write optimistic and encouraging words to live by – a PC failure.
And yet, here I am… persevering in writing this invitation (this challenge) – for us to accept.
Trying to forgo my old responses and instead focus on NEW ones.
It’s a constant battle, but I’m ready for it. Are you?
It won’t be easy. When we take a step towards God… the Enemy wages a greater war against us. I’m feeling it today.
But when we decide to live a NEW way… think in a NEW way… trust in a NEW way… and respond in a NEW way… others will clearly see God because of it. And that is the point of our existence.
How will we walk out the intentional pursuit of a NEW perspective?
How can we choose to BELIEVE God – His WORD and His FAITHFULNESS?
How will we live seeing Heaven in each of our moments?
How will we let our LIGHTs shine bright so that others see our deeds and PRAISE our Father in Heaven?
Consider joining in The Matthew 5:16 Project.
HERE’S OUR JANUARY FOCUS:
For the entire month… let’s begin the year by making a shift in our thinking – in our focus – from what is OLD to what is NEW in us.
- Let’s recall every lie that has been replaced with TRUTH.
- Let’s recite every time God has trumped an enemy attempt to take us out.
- Let’s remember where His Hand has already held us close to His heart.
HERE’S HOW WE WALK IT OUT:
- Cut slips of paper and write OLD/Lie on one side… and TRUTH/NEW on the other.
- Find a bucket to hold these slips of paper and pens.
- Place a little bowl next to the bucket to collect the completed slips of paper, leaving the TRUTH side up.
Make sure to include a Bible, so the tools needed to KEEP perspective and RENEW thinking will be always accessible.
Every time a negative thought or feeling arises – we are to (gently) remind one’s self or one another to take that thought to the LORD and ask Him what He has to say about it… writing down the lie or old habit and trumping it with the TRUTH and the PROMISES made by God.
Are you with me?
Breathe in the Truth and Believe – Exhale the spoken Word… creating a NEW perspective and NEW habit to LIVE from….
Other ways to find NEW perspective:
- Share and listen to Testimonies of God’s goodness and faithfulness.
- Memorize scripture.
- Look in past journals to remember what God has done in your life.
- Play music and engage in Worship.
- Look up ‘NEW’ in your bible or online at biblegateway.com.
- Keep your lies trumped with TRUTH in a journal or on index cards.
There is no right or wrong way to pursue God’s Truth in your life – just start, and don’t quit… He’s got lots to say!
Are you ready for the NEW He wants to release in and through you?
©2011 The Matthew 5:16 Project – careyscotttalks.com, Amanda Barnes
Let’s Connect! Follow me on Twitter, Book Me to speak at your event, Like my Facebook Fan Page, Visit me each Wednesday at “Moms Together,” Learn aboutLeadHer’s mission to equip women to make an impact for Christ.